• Japanese
  • Font size : SML
  • Print

History of Matsuzakaya

1611 ・Ito Genzaemon Sukemichi, a son of Ito Ranmaru Sukehiro who served Oda Nobunaga, opened a kimono fabric and fancy goods wholesale store in Honmachi, Nagoya. (Foundation of Matsuzakaya)
1659 ・Sukemichi’s son Sukemoto opened a kimono fabric and fancy goods wholesale store in Chayamachi, Nagoya and called himself Ito Jirozaemon. (Since then the heads of the Ito family succeed to the name Jirozaemon.)
1736 ・Ito Gofukuten changed its trade from a silk kimono fabric wholesaler to a silk and cotton kimono fabric retailer.
1740 ・Ito Gofukuten became a kimono fabric purveyor to the Owari Tokugawa clan.
1745 ・Kyoto Merchandising Branch opened in Muromachi Anekoji. (Newly built in Shinmachidori Rokkaku in 1749)
1768 ・Acquired Matsuzakaya in Ueno Hirokoji and began business as“Ito Matsuzakaya.”
1907 ・Ueno store was rebuilt into a Western-style building to display goods for sale and reorganized into “Goshi Kaisha (limited partnership) Ito Gofukuten” (capital ¥250,000) to become financially independent. Employed saleswomen.
1910 ・Established “Kabushiki Kaisha Ito Gofukuten” with a capital of ¥500,000. Reopened Nagoya store at Sakaemachi Kado, Nagoya as the first department store in the Nagoya region.
1911 ・Formed Ito Gofukuten Boys Music Band. (Present Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra)
1917 ・Completed the new main building of Ueno store. (Burnt down in the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923)
1918 ・Adopted uniforms for the first time in the department store industry. (Striped cotton kimono with a muslin sash)
1924 ・Ginza store opened at the present location. Allowed customers to enter all floors with their shoes on for the first time in the department store industry.
1925 ・Changed the company name to “Kabushiki Kaisha Matsuzakaya.”
・Established Seikosha Co., Ltd. (Renamed Matsuzakaya Seiko Co., Ltd. in 2005)
・Nagoya store moved to Minamiotsumachi (present location).
1929 ・Established Shoei Foods Co., Ltd.
・Rebuilt the new main building of Ueno store at the present location.
・The first elevator girls in the department store industry debuted in Ueno store.
1930 ・The basement of Ueno store was directly connected to Ueno Hirokoji station on subway Ginza line.
1932 ・Shizuoka store opened.
1957 ・Added a south wing to Ueno store.
・Established Matsuzakaya Kimono Museum in Kyoto.
1962 ・Established Yokohama Matsuzakaya Store.
1963 ・Built a parking building for Ginza store. (The first Bowser elevator system in Japan)
1966 ・Held a huge sale on live animals on the roof of Ginza store.
1970 ・Announced a product tie-up with The Daimaru, Inc. and inaugurated the Central Buying System (CBS).
1971 ・Established Nozawa Shoji Co., Ltd.
1972 ・Built an annex to Ginza store and opened an underground passage leading to Ginza subway station.
・Added a north wing to Nagoya store.
・Established Chubu Matsuzakaya Store Co., Ltd. and Kanto Matsuzakaya Store Co., Ltd. (Merged into Matsuzakaya Store Co., Ltd. in 2000)
1973 ・Established Refex Japan, Inc.
1979 ・Takatsuki store opened.
1991 ・Nagoya store added a south wing to consist of three buildings.
・Opened “Matsuzakaya Museum” in the south wing of Nagoya store.
1993 ・Established a corporate philosophy.
1995 ・Put up a website and opened an online shop.
1996 ・Added a north wing to Shizuoka store.
1998 ・Established an employee code of conduct and basic business transaction rules.
2000 ・Developed the Matsuzakaya environment program and launched a new information system.
2001 ・Toyota store opened.
2003 ・Nagoya store added a new south wing to increase its floor space to the largest level in Japan (86,758 m2).
2004 ・Introduced an executive officer system and established a management code for personal information protection.
2005 ・Opened an official goods shop at the Exposition of Global Harmony.
2006 ・Established a pure holding company “Matsuzakaya Holdings Co., Ltd.”

September 3, 2007 The Daimaru, Inc. and Matsuzakaya Holdings Co., Ltd. Established a joint holding company J. Front Retailing Co., Ltd. and integrated management.